History

Andrea Corrado was born in Albissola Marina (Savona) on 15th October 1873. He was the only child of a sailing vessel rigger who was well known on the whole coast from Voltri (Genoa) to Provenza area (France). At the age of 15 he embarked as a deckhand on a barque, Giovanna B (which he managed himself later on). At the age of 17 he finished his studies and got his captain degree. A year later he embarked again, first as “Giovanotto” (a rank higher than a deck hand), then as "Scrivano" which corresponded to the rank of deck officer. At the age of 19 he became the right hand of the captain, who had to be replaced when fell ill unexpectedly during a voyage. At the age of 24 he became a captain of his first steamship named “Dante”.

The first time his name was mentioned as referred as to a ship owner was in 1908.

The Captain, a native of Albissola Marina, had the official address of the Pilots’ Office at the Old Pier of Genoa, because it shall be remembered that Andrea Corrado was a brave pilot, what is more he was the Chief Pilot of the port of Genoa for many years. Pilots had their head office at the Old Pier at that time, which was at the mouth of the harbour.

Andrea Corrado was managing the GIOVANNA B, a barque of 755 GRT built in Sestri Ponente by Cadenaccio in 1878. The vessel was owned by Maria Costa, Barni widow; what is more, it was the same barque on which he previousely embarked at the age of 15 as a deckhand.

The same year he bought his first ship which cost around 30.000 Italian Liras. It was a sailing ship which he decided to name “CASTAGNA” and which got shipwrecked few months later off Boston coast. Some of his crew died, including the Captain, who was his bosom friend and whom he was immensely fond of.

In 1910 he continued to be managing the GIOVANNA B, a barque which however was not the one described above but an iron ship built in Glasgow in 1874, ex LOCH GREER, always owned by Maria Costa, Barni widow.

In 1912 he was still managing the GIOVANNA B, continuing to work as a Pilot.

In 1917 he was already ship owner of the following vessels:

SAN GIUSEPPE ex LORELEY 1,070 GRT
NOSTRA MADRE (a sailing ship)
SANTA CATERINA (a sailing ship)
WARTHA 3,923 GRT
CONFIDENZA 3,464 GRT

German submarines which were patrolling the seas in groups made the sea swallow all the ships, one after another, struck by torpedoes. The only one saved was a sailing ship named SANTA CATERINA, which remained for years in the fleet, which Corrado was to rebuild after the war.

During the First World War, as an aftermath of the destruction of merchant vessels by German U-Boots, it became essential to commence a thorough reconstruction plan. Between 1914 and 1918 as much as 9 million GRT were lost, reaching the peak at the end of June 1917. For this aim, English government gave big authority to an ad hoc institution called The Shipping Controller (1916), which instantly following the completion of the unit, arranged to give ships under the management of various shipping companies. This type of vessel was called "standard" because it had to meet the following requirements:

- low cost
- unified project for all the shipyards
- identical features
- standardisation of the used materials

In 1919 Andrea Corrado became the owner, by himself as well as in joint ventures with other prominent Genoese Families, of other vessels, among which there were also the “Standard” ones.

ASSISTENZA ex MARIA CARMELA, 1890, 599 GRT
CONFIDENZA ex GUDHILDE Sunderland, 1884, 3,465 GRT
SAN GIUSEPPE ex WAR TREFOIL, 5,166 GRT.

In 1920, Andrea Corrado established the “CORRADO & RAVANO”, a joint venture with Ravano family, who he bought some ships with; among them, they owned:

SANT’ANDREA Ex GLAMORGANSHIRE 1907 3,253 GRT
GIUDITTA Ex WAR COMOX 5,337 GRT
SAN PIETRO Ex WAR COWSLIP 5,292 GRT

In 1923 he set up the “PARODI & CORRADO” in joint with another well-known family (Parodi), who he bought other ships with; among them, they owned:

DALMAZIA ex WAR PICTURE 6, 520 GRT
VALFIORITA ex BUCKLEIGH 1917 3,310 GRT

In September 1926 the company PARODI & CORRADO was dissolved. Some ships, including VODICE, moved to the hands of Andrea Corrado. In the meantime he created a new company named “CORRADO Soc. Italiana di Navigazione” with its headquarters located in Genoa. In 1929 the company changed its name into “CORRADO S.A. di Navigazione”.

In 1929 the “CORRADO & RAVANO” was dissolved and the vessels were divided pro-quota among the partners.

In 1931, Corrado SA di Navigazione became the owner of the following vessels:

ALBISOLA ex ADRIATICO Ancona 1911 5,239 GRT
BACICIN PADRE ex SCOTTISH BARD Sunderland 1918 5,591 GRT (Oil Tanker)
BUCCARI ex LABICUM Glasgow 1907 4,481 GRT
CATERINA MADRE ex VALNOCE Stockton 1904 4,019 GRT
CONFIDENZA ex ULISSE Middlesbrà 1920 6,457 GRT
HERMADA ex CARVENTUM Glasgow 1907 4,420 GRT
LAURA CORRADO ex BRITISH DUKE Sunderland 1899 3,645 GRT (Oil Tanker)
POLLENZO ex WAR RELIEF W.Hartlep 1919 6,470 GRT
PREMUDA ex TUSCULUM Glasgow 1907 4,427 GRT
VALENTINO CODA ex NOMENTUM Glasgow 1909 4,383 GRT
VODICE ex ALATRIUM Glasgow 1907 4,388 GRT

In 1932 the fleet was already consistent and prominent. There appeared names which later on one could come across very often. It was enough to hear their names to immediately connect them with their ship owner, which was personally used to take care of them. The ship owner was used to hire the crew and the captains, which were required to be from Liguria, especially from Albisola, Savona and Camogli. Their steamships could be often seen manoeuvring along the port of Genoa. They were easily recognisable due to their black colour with all the superstructures, masts and derricks fully white. The funnel was black with a wide white strip, on which you could notice the red letter C on both sides.

The ships’ names were used to indicate a person from a family like BACICIN PADRE ex WAR PUNDT, a standard ship built off-the-shelf during the war. They were ships without passageways with holds in "pozzetti". They were equipped with framework derricks because the arm industry couldn’t supply boom derricks as it was engaged in the construction of cannons. Framework derricks were very useful for the stevedoring of bulk cargoes because of the absence of the passageways. Consequently many other steamships appeared:

CATERINA MADRE ex GYMERIC Stockton 1904 4,019 GRT
INES CORRADO ex RIVER TIGRIS N.Castle 1918 5,159 GRT
RINA CORRADO ex RIVER DELAWARE Belfast 1918 5,179 GRT
DINO ex SIERRA BELGRANO Newcastle 1920 5,591 GRT
DANTE ex CAMBRIAN PRINCESS Sunderland 1914 4,901 GRT
CESCO Ex GYMERIC 38 1917 6, 138 GRT (Tanker)
ANDREA (32) Ex GERMAINE LD N.Castle 1921 5, 151 GRT
CONFIDENZA Ex WAR PROJECT Middlesbrà 1920 6,457 GRT
LAURA CORRADO Ex Royal Arrow 1916

CONFIDENZA had always been Corrado’s preferred name given to ships and thus several vessels had it. The above mentioned was a “Fabricated” type, constructed during the First World War; they were large capacity type vessel. To save time and labour, all the curvy sheet metals were removed and replaced by edges. The stern had a shape of a triangle as well and many people complained about that kind of geometry full of edges and thus ugly and not considered as “maritime”. It was astonishing since after 70 years all the sterns were triangular and the hulls were squared. Another innovation, which were water-tube boilers, burnt coal and had turbine engine of over than 3000 horsepower. The engine gave to the vessel a speed of more than 10 knots, however the reverse was it very weak and the manoeuvres posed always huge difficulties.

Other ships’ names indicated the places of important First World War battles as BUCCARI, HERMADA or VODICE.

In 1932 the name of Captain Andrea Corrado appeared in RINA registers as a President of Società Unione di Navigazione, established in 1921 with its headquarters on via San Luca 2 1/10. They armed the following vessels:

FIDELITAS (no further information available)
MINCIO Voltri 1921 (no further information available)

In 1935, families Corrado and Cerutti established the “Polena S.A. di Navigazione”, a joint venture with its Headquarters in Genoa, Salita S. Nicolosio 1. The company object was not only to arm (both tankers as well as dry bulk carriers), but also Maritime Representations and Agencies. The newly-established shipping company purchased immediately its first steamboat from Società Roma di Navigazione (which later on transformed into a pontoon): it was the

AMALFI 1920 5,301 GRT

In 1936, the company purchased, for an amount of 6,800,000 Italian Liras, 10 vessels from the company “La Meridionale di Nagivazione”, 4 of those vessels were immediately scrapped and the remaining 6 were regularly used:

DELFIN ex CAMOGLI Greenock 1918 5,322 GRT
PAGAO ex FORMA Sestri 1924 6,102 GRT (oil tanker)
PAMIA ex SEBETO Cornigliano 1922 6,245 GRT
PAMPANO ex CUMA Cornigliano 1924 6,232 GRT
RONDINE ex LITERNO Muggiano 1924 6,468 GRT (oil tanker)
STROMBO ex CARPENA Cornigliano 1923 5,953 GRT (oil tanker)

In 1937 the society bought another 5 units:

LOASSO ex MESSICO Muggiano 1921 5,967 GRT
ORATA ex EMANUELE ACCAME Glasgow 1910 8,631 GRT
SANANDREA ex HYRCANIA N.Castle 1908 5,077 GRT (oil tanker)
DENTICE ex ADNA Glasgow 1918 5,197 GRT
MOSCARDIN ex DANAOS Greenock 1906 4,374 GRT

In 1936 the fleet was already of an outstanding size. Andrea Corrado took on important positions also at the Association of Ship Owners. Under the chairmanship of Lawyer Becchi, he became first a counsellor and then one of the Vice Presidents.

The crisis of 1931-1934 was over. The supply of Expeditionary Corps in East Africa required many ships that were chartered by the Italian Government. The ports of Massawa, Assab, Mogadishu and Kismayo were congested by the steamships. It took weeks, even months to disembark.

To ensure the normal traffic of coal, ores and grains supplies, Corrado was ready to engage and deploy all his fleet, which since then had further increased. In addition to the old list of names within “Corrado SA, Società di Navigazione”, other units’ names appeared:

ALBISOLA (34) ex PENTOR Burntisland 4,097 GRT
BUCCARI (33) ex LAWBEATH Glasgow 4,543 GRT
VALDARNO ex ATTIVITA’ 31 Canada 1919 5,670 GRT
ZEFFIRO ex RIVER HUDSON Dundee 1918 5,165 GRT
VALENTINO CODA ex Bellailsa Lithgw 1924 4,486 GRT

These were the most significant years for Andrea Corrado as a prominent European Ship Owner, who in 1939 had an interest in an unspecified number of vessels (but still between 35 and 40 units); a number which made him one of the most significant private and indipendent ship owner of his times; not only in Italy but also internationally. The vessels were engaged especially in supplying coal for blast furnaces and disembarking in Savona, Genoa, Venice, Leghorn and Naples. They were also used for the State Railways, and then ended in different ports of the Italian Kingdom such as Civitavecchia, Reggio Calabria, Brindisi and Bari. The disembark was taking place by means of ship equipments, derricks and winches, which lasted very long. Almost all of this traffic was carried out by means of Italian steamers and the ports of embarkation were those traditional of coal, for example: the English ones like Cardiff and Newcastle, the Germans (Emden, Hamburg, Bremen), the Dutches and Belgians (Rotterdam, Antwerp and Ghent), or the Polishes (Gdansk or Gdynia). In all of those ports, Italian presence was flowerishing and developed; Italian ship chandlers such as Riva in Antwerp and Rotterdam, or Olivari in Cardiff are only two examples.

With such a fleet, Andrea Corrado faced the Second World War, which badly damaged his ships and his shipping company. The vessel ANDREA was captured by the British in Newcastle on 10th June 1940 and renamed EMPIRE ADVENTURE, in September 1940 was sunk by German submarines at Islay. The POLLENZO was captured by the British in June 1940 in Gibraltar. The DANTE was sold to Flota Mercante del Estado in Argentina on 25th August 1941 and renamed RIO SEGUNDO, returned to the owner in 1946. The INES CORRADO was captured, sold and renamed RIO SALADO. The VALDARNO in Argentina was sold and renamed RIO NEQUEN. The BACICIN PADRE was captured in Venezuela and sold in the USA. The CONFIDENCE was captured in Jacksonville. The DINO was captured in Boston and renamed MERIDIAN; went under the flag of Panama; was subsequently sank in the Atlantic in November 1941 by U-561. ALBISOLA was sunk by aircraft bombs on 31st March 1943 in Cagliari; recovered and came back to service after the war. The BUCCARI was sunk by a mine on 20th June 1941 in Ginosa (TA). The CATERINA MADRE was confiscated by the Royal Navy and sank on 11th September 1943 out of Gallipoli, due to a collision with a mine (click here to see finding wreck movie ). The HERMADA was scuttled on 11th September 1943 in Manfredonia; was retrieved on 27th April 1944 and requisitioned by the Royal Navy from 7th November 1945 to 25th February 1946. The LAURA CORRADO was sunk north of Trapani on 30th March 1941 by a torpedo launched from HMS Rorqual submarine while sailing from Naples to Algiers. The PREMUDA was sunk on 12th November 1940 by ships cannons 15 miles west of Saseno. The RINA CORRADO was sunk on 9th November 9 1941 by ships’ cannons near Punta Stilo. The VALENTINO CODA was sunk on 14th June 1943 in Capo Vaticano by a submarine torpedo. The ZEFFIRO was sunk by a submarine HMS URGE at Cap Bon on 20th May 1941. The INES CORRADO, a new construction, not yet registered, victim of English Ultra Intelligence, which deciphered its radio messages on its departure from Naples to Bizerte on 6th March 1943 with a cargo of gasoline. It was attacked on the 7th March to the west of Marettimo by bombers which set it on fire; abandoned by the crew, went drifting until it sank around 3 o’clock of 8th March 1943. All the ships of Polena shared its fate. A steamship called CESCO survived the war.

After the Second World War, also the USA made use of procedures similar to the British ones after the First World War. During the Second World War, US Government was building war ships in only one week and were called "Liberty", "Victory", and tankers type called as "T2" and "T3". It was evident that the first and fundamental principle was to have expendable and low cost units. Just like after the First World War, a great amount of "Standard" ships at the end of hostilities, went to swell the fleets of many ship owners; including the Italian ones as a consequence of national application to Marshall Plan. Even after the Second World War the same thing happened to "Liberty "(Dry Cargo) ships and" T2 "(Tankers) ships.

The Liberty class cargo ships, built by the US, were the major logistics ships in the entire history of the Navy. They represented a model of a "unified" cargo ship, which saw the construction of a large number of vessels, which were decisive, despite their little warlike appearance, in winning the Second World War by the Allied. Despite the design concept of "unified", they were equipped with fixtures of various levels, depending on the possibility of supplying, building sites and other contingencies, which often acted the creation or modification of ad hoc ships in special versions. They were ships of 14,000 GRT, about 135 meters long and about 17.5 m wide; machines driven by triple expansion of around 2500 hp. Their speed was around 11 knots.

After the war, the reconstruction of the fleet recommenced and the following "Liberty" class ships were brought back to commercial oprations:

SUDALISEO ex Belgian Tenacity
ORATA ex George Whitefield
DINO ex John Griffiths
DELPHIN ex T.S. Gold
CESCO CORRADO ex George Broadwater
CAPITAINE COSTERMANS ex Belgian Courage
BIANCA CORRADO ex J.C. Osgood
ANDREA ex Robert Trimble
CERERE ex SALMON FALLS 1945 16, 613 DWT

After the war, other ships were bought:

MATILDE CORRADO (no further information available)
CATERINA MADRE – built between 1961 and 1970 (no further information available)

Meanwhile, Andrea Corrado and his family successfully diversified their activities into real estate and marine insurances.

Andrea Corrado appeared in the records as a key shareholder of Rimorchiatori Riuniti di Genova. Moreover, in the mid-50s, he was the owner of some tugs as the

GOLIA built in 1944 and launched by Equitable Equipment Co. Inc. - Medisonville (LA).

In the 60s Andrea Corrado was a partner of Sicilarma Soc.di navigazione – Palermo, the owner of some vessels, among which there was a steamer called ACI.

In 1959, the fleet consisted of 21 units, among which there was 1 oil tanker and almost all Liberty types:

ALBISOLA
CONFIDENZA
CESCO CORRADO
ANDREA
BIANCA CORRADO
DINO
MATILDE CORRADO
ROSA CORRADO
CATERINA MADRE
GOLIA (Tug)
ARCOLA
GIACOMO CORRADO
RINA CORRADO
DELPHIN
ORATA
RONDINE
OMBRINA
STROMBO
ACI
CARINI
CERERE (Oil Tanker)

Andrea Corrado died in 1963 at ninety years old, leaving his heritage and legacy to a well respectable dynasty of Ship Owners, which history was strictly connected with the City of Genoa, but also with the history of the Italian Kingdom and then the Italian Republic. The dynasty survived the two Word Wars, to continue its operations until today, although out of Italian borders. As a company operating globally, it has always been trying to keep the importance of its history, paving the way for other generations. Andrea Corrado is rightfully considered a symbol of a historical transition between two totally different worlds; that of sailing and motor-steaming; actually a revolutionary transition which changed the concept of global sea-borne trade.

At the time of his death, many ships were idling, off the port of Genoa. Each of Corrado’s sons and daughters chose their own life-paths; some of them continued to run shipping business. One of his sons, G.B. Corrado, already sixty-one when his father died, made use of demolition premia granted by the government by constructing new ships. In 1965, Drin was built in Piaggio shipyard, in Riva Trigoso. She was the cutting edge of the technology prevailing at that time, one of the biggest vessel ever delivered and was a sort of tribute to the memory of his father.

It was a ship of 27,000 GRT and an excellent draft. It was enormous for the time. In his youth, G.B. Corrado was a brilliant stud of economics and a brave and honoured military pilot. He had a great ability of managing the financial and tax issues of his family business. He wrote interesting economy books. He died in 1974 in Genoa, leaving his wife and their 4 children; his son Francesco and three daughters.

Francesco Corrado was born in Genoa on 2nd June 1945 and was 29 years old when his father died. The old ships had all been demolished in the previous years and the DRIN was sold in 1967. He decided to restart and rebuild the fleet, but decided to do it out of Italy and with very small bulkers. Thus, he began his new life and activities abroad increasing his experience and the network of international contacts at the same time.

In 1976 he founded Gestion Maritime SAM, a company located in Monaco, specializing in the management of dry bulkers of small denomination. He immediately began to manage the first ship named

FIRST FLIGHT, a small 3,700 DWT bulk carrier.

In 1977 the ROMMY, a vessel of similar tonnage, joined the First Flight.

In 1979 two other vessels joined the fleet:

MATHILDE 1962, 27, 000 DWT
EUGENIO 1961, 24, 000 DWT

In the meantime the company was becoming more and more professional and as a consequence, the management of larger vessels got started in 1984, when the GIOVANNI joined the managed fleet. She was a handymax, built in Japan IHI in 1977.

In 1987 an even bigger ship joined the fleet, always a dry bulk carrier, but of 61,000 DWT:

ELENA - IMABARI, ex Mount Pindos - 1974 61, 000 DWT.

In 1989 the fleet was further enlarged with the arrival of:

FRANCESCO - NAMURA, ex Maritime Dignity - 1983 66, 000 DWT

In 1994, the company began to follow the first new construction project in Korean shipyards of SAMSUNG HI. In 1996, the ship was launched on the island of Koje.

DRIN - SAMSUNG, 1996 73, 000 DWT

In 2000 a new building project started, which was completed two years later with her launching always in the same shipyard of SAMSUNG.

MATILDE CORRADO - SAMSUNG H.I., 73,000 DWT

In 2002 another ship joined the fleet. It was a bulk carrier, built in Japan and belonging to “World Wide” company. The vessel started to be managed in May when it left the port of Palermo (Italy):

GIOVANNI - SASEBO - Ex World Raven - 1996 73,000 DWT

In September 2003, new dry bulk carriers construction projects continued, always in Japan, but this time at the shipyard of OSHIMA in the south of the country. There were two ships under construction which were launched respectively in February and May 2008; almost 5 years after the start of the project. The project took much time, but it was justified by the large number of ships ordered at those sites. The fleet continued to grow with the arrival of:

G.B. CORRADO - OSHIMA, 2008 77, 100 DWT
FRANCESCO CORRADO - OSHIMA, 2008 77, 100 DWT

In 2009, Gestion Maritime took over the management of another ship; a sister vessel of those built a year before. It was a ship coming from the Norden fleet; built at the same shipyard, at Oshima.

JUPITER - OSHIMA, 2006 ex Nord Jupiter 77, 200 DWT

In March 2010, Gestion Maritime commenced once more a new construction project in Korea, at the site of SUNGDONG. The focus of the project was two Kamsarmax, a type of vessels that significantly exceeded the capacity of Panamax size, though maintaining identical beam at the same time. In 2012, the fleet got therefore larger by:

INES CORRADO - SUNGDONG, 2012 82, 000 DWT
DRAGON - SUNGDONG, 2012 82, 000 DWT

In December 2012, the company was ready to face new technical challenges and decided to diversify its business by managing oil tankers; while maintaining its specialization in bulk carriers. Therefore, the first project of new buildings in the field of petroleum products was launched. It concerned two "Medium Range" units of about 50,000 DWT, built at a Hyundai Mipo Dockyard, a specialized and prominent yard located in Ulsan, South Korea.

In April 2013, another Kamsarmax joined the fleet. It was a bulk carrier built in Japan, again at Oshima. It belonged to the Japanese group DOUN and came under the management of Gestion Maritime on 9th September 2013.

Francesco Corrado passed away unexpectedly and prematurely on 4th November 2013, leaving his thirty-six years old son Giovanni Battista Corrado to follow in his footsteps.

In January 2014, the two "MR" units of about 50,000 DWT, built at a Hyundai Mipo Dockyard, have been chartered out for long period to Stena Weco.

The two new buildings "Stenaweco Andrea Corrado" and "Stenaweco Caterina Corrado" joined the fleet in June 2015 and August 2015.

After about 105 years, the story still continues, constantly with undefeated enthusiasm and uncorrupted commitment.

To be continued.

 

Francesco Corrado & Giovanni Corrado